Biologists conduct research to learn more about living organisms and ecosystems, manage natural resources, and develop new pra...
Hydrologists study the occurrence, distribution, circulation and properties of water in the atmosphere, on the Earth's surface, and in soil and underlying rocks.
Also Known As
Physical Scientist, Research Scientist, Water Scientist, Resources Engineer
Employment and Advancement
Hydrologists are employed by:
- natural resource companies
- civil engineering, environmental and forestry consulting firms
- municipal, provincial and federal government departments.
Experienced hydrologists may work with Canadian consulting firms overseas or advance to water resource management positions.
Hydrologists are part of the larger 2011 National Occupational Classification 2113: Geologists, geochemists and geophysicists. In Alberta, 89% of people employed in this classification work in the following industries:
The employment outlook in this occupation will be influenced by a wide variety of factors including:
- trends and events affecting overall employment (especially in the industries listed above)
- location in Alberta
- employment turnover (work opportunities generated by people leaving existing positions)
- occupational growth (work opportunities resulting from the creation of new positions that never existed before)
- size of the occupation.
Over 2,200 Albertans are employed in the Geologists, geochemists and geophysicists occupational group. This group is expected to have a below-average annual growth of 0.9% from 2016 to 2020. As a result, 20 new positions are forecast to be created each year, in addition to job openings created by employment turnover. Note: As hydrologists form only a part of this larger occupational group, only some of these newly created positions will be for hydrologists.
Employment turnover is expected to increase as members of the baby boom generation retire over the next few years.
The information contained in this profile is current as of the dates shown. Salary, employment outlook and educational program information may change without notice. It is advised that you confirm this information before making any career decisions.