Printer Friendly Header
Bookmark and Share
Contact a Career Advisor

What if I trained in another country?

<< Back to Certification FAQs

If you plan to immigrate to Canada, it is important to learn as much as possible about Canada's labour market before you arrive. Employers' expectations and the employment situation in your occupation may be quite different in Canada than it is where you are. The Government of Canada's Job Bank website is a good place to start your research.

For information about living and working in the province of Alberta, see Where can I get information about what it is like to live and work in Alberta? and How do I obtain work in Alberta?

The International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) in the Alberta government evaluates international credentials and issues certificates indicating how credentials from other countries compare to educational standards in Alberta. IQAS assessment certificates can be attached to a job resumé to help employers understand your education. IQAS assessment certificates are also used by some educational institutions and professional licensing bodies. Please visit IQAS for further information about the IQAS assessment service and to obtain a listing of the professional licensing bodies and educational institutions using IQAS.

Careful preparation prior to your arrival can significantly reduce the length of time it will take to have your qualifications recognized in Alberta. One of the most important things you can do to speed up the certification or registration process is to bring the documents that will be required to verify your qualifications. You may be asked to provide official transcripts of marks from educational institutions (not photocopies) or original documents from employers, references and/or regulatory organizations. You also may be asked to provide evidence of your language proficiency in English. For more information, see How well must I be able to communicate in English?

The following organizations may be able to provide assistance and advice that is relevant to your particular situation:

  • the professional association or regulatory organization where you obtained your training
  • the professional association or regulatory organization in Alberta
  • immigrant serving agencies in Alberta.

In some occupations, associations and regulatory organizations have signed international mutual recognition agreements that make it much easier for members to have their credentials recognized in other countries. Further, some Alberta professional regulatory organizations allow applicants for registration or certification to challenge examinations or meet other requirements while applicants are still living outside Alberta.
Immigrant serving agencies provide information and guidance for immigrants after they arrive in Alberta. For information about immigrant serving agencies in Alberta, visit Alberta Labour. You can also contact the Alberta Career Information Hotline between 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Phone number in Edmonton: 780-422-4266
Canada-wide toll-free phone number: 1-800-661-3753
Phone number from North American locations outside Canada: (780) 422-4266
Phone number from outside North America: 0-1 (780) 422-4266


Definitions of some of the words and terms used throughout this site.

Look up Word


Questions about careers, learning, employment?

Toll Free:

In Edmonton (local):

Printer Friendly Footer