Printer Friendly Header
Bookmark and Share
Contact a Career Advisor

How do I find out if I need more training?

<< Back to Certification FAQs

Professional regulatory organizations and provincial government departments require applicants for certification or registration to meet specified education and experience requirements. They also may require applicants to write examinations and participate in interviews. Examinations and interviews are usually, but not always, conducted in Alberta. Information about certification or registration requirements is usually posted on the professional regulatory organization's website.

Professional regulatory organizations may conduct their own assessments of applicants' qualifications. If your credentials were earned in another province or territory or outside Canada, find out:

  • how the relevant Alberta professional regulatory organization assesses credentials earned outside Alberta
  • if it is possible to complete some of the assessment process prior to your arrival in Alberta
  • how much the qualifications assessment will cost.

Professional regulatory organizations in Alberta may require applicants who have foreign credentials to obtain an assessment from the International Qualifications Assessment Service or another assessment service such as the International Credentials Assessment Service of Canada. Or, professional regulatory organizations may include the cost of obtaining such an assessment in their certification or registration fees. To avoid paying for a qualifications assessment twice, find out what procedures will be followed in your case.

Many professional regulatory organizations are prepared to assess combinations of education, training and experience that may be equivalent to their standard certification or registration requirements. If you don't have the specified education but do have related education and experience, you may not have to go back to school to qualify for certification or registration. Contact the appropriate professional regulatory organization or provincial government department, describe your qualifications and ask about alternate ways of qualifying for certification or registration. Depending on your situation, you may be able to:

  • participate in a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition process that helps adults demonstrate and obtain recognition for knowledge and skills they have acquired outside of formal education settings
  • obtain a formal assessment of your qualifications and credentials
  • take an upgrading program or a bridging program to fill the gap between the knowledge and skills you already have and the knowledge and skills you need to work in your occupation in Alberta.

If you do need to upgrade your qualifications before you can work in your occupation in Alberta, career counselling and immigrant service agency personnel can help you identify and select a suitable education program. The Government of Alberta funds career counselling and immigrant services located throughout the province. For information about these services, contact the Alberta Career Information Hotline by calling between 8:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Phone number in Edmonton: (780) 422-4266
Canada-wide toll-free phone number: 1-800-661-3753
Phone number from North American locations outside Canada: (780) 422-4266
Phone number from outside North America: 0-1 (780) 422-4266

The Government of Alberta also publishes guides and resources such as Time to Choose...A Post-Secondary Education Program in a printed format and on the ALIS website to help people make education plans.


Definitions of some of the words and terms used throughout this site.

Look up Word


Questions about careers, learning, employment?

Toll Free:

In Edmonton (local):

Printer Friendly Footer