Printer Friendly Header
Bookmark and Share
Contact a Career Advisor

What if I have documents from the Government of Canada saying that I am qualified to work in Canada?

<< Back to Certification FAQs

If you have been admitted to Canada as a skilled worker, the Government of Canada has determined that your education and work experience will help you find work and make a home in Canada. That determination is not a guarantee of employment or a guarantee that your qualifications will be accepted by employers, professional regulatory organizations or provincial government departments.

Being qualified to work in Canada does not mean that finding work will be easy. In Canada's labour market, employers are solely responsible for hiring decisions and individual job seekers are responsible for finding work by identifying and approaching employers who may need their services. The employment situation in a particular occupation is constantly changing based on supply and demand and often varies from one part of the country to another. For more information, see Is there work available in my field in Alberta?

Further, each province and territory in Canada has its own legislation and regulations governing employment. That means laws governing practice in your occupation may be quite different depending on where you live in Canada. In fact, some provinces or territories may have laws and regulations governing employment in your occupation, while others do not. This database only describes certification and registration requirements for employment in regulated occupations in the province of Alberta.

In Canada, professional regulatory organizations and provincial government departments administer laws and regulations regarding employment in specific occupations. Provincial regulatory organizations are often affiliated with national organizations (e.g. Canadian professional associations) but the provincial organization, not the national organization, sets requirements for practice in Alberta.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada is a national government body that:

  • admits immigrants, foreign students, visitors and temporary workers who enhance Canada's social and economic growth
  • resettles, protects and provides a safe haven for refugees
  • helps newcomers adapt to Canadian society and become Canadian citizens through a variety of human service agencies
  • manages access to Canada to protect the security and health of Canadians and the integrity of Canadian laws.

National and provincial government departments and professional regulatory organizations provide a variety of services to help people obtain work but finding a job is ultimately the job seeker's responsibility. For more information, see How do I obtain work in Alberta?


Definitions of some of the words and terms used throughout this site.

Look up Word


Questions about careers, learning, employment?

Toll Free:

In Edmonton (local):

Printer Friendly Footer