Printer Friendly Header
Bookmark and Share
Contact a Career Advisor

What if I am already certified in another province or territory in Canada?

<< Back to Certification FAQs

To make it easier for certified workers in regulated occupations to move across Canada, the federal, provincial and territorial governments introduced amendments to Chapter 7 (Labour Mobility) of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) in 2009. Under Chapter 7, persons who are currently certified and in good standing in a regulated occupation in one jurisdiction in Canada are eligible to practice in any other jurisdiction in Canada without requirements for additional education, training, experience, examinations or assessments of their qualifications. Visit the Labour Mobility Coordinating Group website for more information about labour mobility.

The Governments of Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba have signed the New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA). Article 13 (Labour Mobility) in this agreement also facilitates the labour mobility of certified workers. Further information can be found on the NWPTA website.

All of the regulated occupations profiled are subject to the labour mobility provisions found in Chapter 7 of the AIT and Article 13 of the NWPTA. For more information about labour mobility in Alberta, visit Labour Mobility.

A certified worker in a province or territory who has concerns about the recognition of his or her certification in another Canadian jurisdiction can contact the Labour Mobility Coordinator in their jurisdiction.

In Alberta, the labour mobility coordinator can be contacted at:

Domestic and International Labour Mobility (DILM) Unit
Phone: 780-644-4306
Toll-free within Alberta: 310-0000
Fax: 780-422-7173


Definitions of some of the words and terms used throughout this site.

Look up Word


Questions about careers, learning, employment?

Toll Free:

In Edmonton (local):

Printer Friendly Footer